J.B. Hunt Transport Manager Trainee in Joliet, Illinois
Job Opening ID:
00344081 Manager Trainee (Open)
United States of America
Efficiency, sustainability & reliability all differentiate J.B. Hunt Intermodal. When it comes to reducing the carbon footprint and transportation costs, Intermodal leads the way. Since 1989, we have acquired over 86,000 containers and have become the largest intermodal provider in the United States, with the most extensive rail network in North America. Capacity matters!
• Learn to build and maintain positive professional relationships with drivers and safe, reliable outside carriers to ensure seamless new carrier set-up, minimize turnover and maximize ongoing productivity.
• Learn to assign loads and plan, route, and monitor freight movement to provide safe, on-time service and meet customer requirements, including managing freight exceptions and driver ETA adjustments based on pick-up and delivery schedules, and other environmental factors on the road.
• Learn to maintain the Company's safety culture to include daily driver safety messages, monthly driver safety briefings, quarterly driver training, annual reviews, and enforce company policies to ensure DOT compliance and company safety requirements are being met.
• Learn to work with drivers, customers, and company personnel to resolve service issues, routing and/or planning, mechanical problems, accessorial pay related issues, etc., as they occur throughout the day and, where necessary, when on call.
• Learn to manage yard including checking/inspecting equipment, replacing parts (like mud flaps), completing repairs, etc., and coordinating with maintenance to ensure all regular preventative maintenance services are scheduled on time and all safety related mechanical issues are fixed for account equipment (as required).
• Learn to perform administrative duties such as payroll, management of the Net-Revenue budget, driver counseling, accident reviews, filing and documenting, resolving pay issues, analyzing P&L statements, invoicing and/or creating operational or financial reports.
• Gain knowledge on how to manage inventory, assets, customer pools and/or assignment of drivers to balance equipment in market.
• Become proficient in maximizing efficiency of fleet operations and profitability and making recommendations for continuous improvement, measuring key performance indicators, and creating, maintaining and presenting customer specific reporting and financial analysis through face-to-face interactions at customer location.
• Learn to utilize personnel management including training and orientation of drivers and/or employees including the training and assistance with internal and third party (customer) systems.
• Fill in for absent or unavailable personnel and on special projects related to optimizing fleet operations and achieving profitability.
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for learning the management of small driver count and/or non-traditional shifts (including nights and weekends), ensuring safe and timely service movement of freight, load assignment and providing best in class customer service. This position will be trained to ensure compliance with DOT regulations. They are responsible for all drivers compliance and company regulations while working with internal and external contacts to ensure the accurate planning, routing, monitoring, and delivery of freight and loads
Our Intermodal Manager Trainees receive a unique blend of classroom and hands on instruction, sharpening the skills that move them into full fleet management roles within 3-6 months. This position will support our Intermodal Business Segment giving you hands on experience and exposure to the partnerships we have within the rail networks.
The environment is fast-paced, and you will have the ability to make decisions that matter! This experience will be both rewarding yet challenging, however you will have a management team to help support the enrichment and growth in your career.
This opening is intended to hire for our training class that is starting on Monday, April 13th. We are looking for applicants that could start the week of April 6th and job shadow before the training class.
Must be willing to work 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift.
Must be willing to work Saturdays and Sundays.
There will be a rotating, block schedule after the training class is complete.
We are looking for candidates that are open to relocating to 1-2 other Intermodal ramps based on account need. The other Intermodal ramps that we have within this region are:
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fort Wayne, IN
Grand Rapids, MI
Green Bay, WI
Racine, WI (Milwaukee, WI)
- High School Diploma/GED with 3-4 years of Transportation/Logistics experience and/or 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
Bachelor's Degree with 1 year of relevant professional experience OR 4-5 years of experience in the Transportation/Logistics industry OR Military Non-Commissioned Officer with at least 3 years of supervisory experience (i.e., minimum E-4).
Ability to process information with high levels of accuracy
Anticipate, recognize, and deal effectively with existing or potential conflicts at the individual, group, or situation level
Ability to accurately analyze situations and reach productive decisions based on informed judgment
Ability to adapt to changing environments
Establish and maintain healthy working relationships with clients, vendors, and peers
Ability to meet or exceed team/driver needs and expectations and provide excellent service in a direct or indirect manner
Effective communication skills
Ability to recognize, anticipate, and resolve organizational, operational or process problem.
Bachelors: Business Administration/Management, Bachelors: Business Communications, GED (Required), High School (Required)
Management-Entry Level, Transportation/Logistics
“This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.”
Fortune 500 experience. Career growth opportunities. Nationwide relocation possibilities.
These are just a few things you'll find at J.B. Hunt. Whether you have a passion for operations, sales, engineering or information technology, we can help jumpstart your career with challenging opportunities that will help you reach your maximum potential.
Why J.B. Hunt?
We take our investment in you seriously - our future success depends on you. Be an innovator with a leading transportation company and work alongside some of the brightest minds in the industry. At J.B. Hunt, we strongly believe in promoting from within based on performance and potential, the sky is the limit for your career.
What are we looking for?
We look for high-energy, forward-thinking individuals who are interested in a career with a leader in the transportation industry. We seek exceptional people of diverse backgrounds who have the vision to carry our business forward. J.B. Hunt offers a variety of opportunities spanning across the nation.